Sunday, September 4, 2011

So, Today I Got...

A sunburn? No.  A new shirt? No.  A big fat slap?  No, but it sort of feels like it now.  Today, after years of hemming and hawing, and being a fraidy-chicken, and wishing and wanting and planning and drawing and dreaming, I got my Tattoo.  It feels nice to know that I am at least strong enough to take the pain, which truthfully wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be.  It is a small tattoo, around 2 inches tall by three inches wide.  On the front of my left shoulder.  I can cover it if needed, or show it off, My choice.  I did it.  I finally did it.  [Insert sigh of relief here]

My dad asked me what possessed me. Then he asked me if my rose looked like a cabbage instead of a rose.  Then he saw it and did his little "I don't really like it because it's a tattoo, but I guess it isn't too horrific looking" face.  My mother said she thought I had more sense, but then said that it was very pretty.  My best friend Lindsay said she can't wait to see it, and my husband hasn't said much.  I can tell though that he is not best pleased.  He is worried about money, which I can understand, but the shop was extremely reasonable.  He also mentioned that my boss would have a cow which doesn't matter since I wear shirts to work that cover the tattoo.

People get ink for many different reasons.  Some to show off in a big way, some for very personal reasons that are no one elses business, some because they are drunk and stupid.  Some are self-applied.  Some are  Some are in memory of something, and some are food for an addiction.  Either to pain or to art.  I don't think it is bad to be addicted to art.  Both art and pain have been called beauty.  I think that my reasons are very personal, but I don't mind sharing.  In fact, I hope that someone might even be touched by my sentiments, as they are very deep indeed.

I wanted this very specific and very special tattoo to keep some things close to my heart.  My maiden name, as well as my favorite flower is Rose, my favorite color is purple, I am a long-time musician and singer, and I am a mother of a sweet boy who means everything to me.  My tattoo incorporates all those things together to describe me.  Even the placement of the tattoo is significant.

So, whatever your judgment, it will have to stay yours, because I made mine.  I love how it turned out, and I will cherish its meaning all my life. 

2 comments:

  1. Well my first attempt at leaving a comment didn't work so here goes number two. And the back button didn't save what I typed so hehe.

    I love the tat. I have three. Technically four. I know weird right? But I had one covered. Two of mine were just because and one means a lot to me cause I did it for a good friend of mine.

    So I think they are ok. You can't see mine, except the one on my leg and that is only if I wear shorts. And the other if I wear a white dress shirt with no t-shirt you can see them through the shirt, but I always wear t-shirts. I will get more but I am picky and won't get them just anywhere hehe.

    And I got what yours meant as soon as I saw it, minus the placement lol. So I love it.

    Anyway, welcome to the blogging world (again). I'll add you to my blogroll. Any questions about wordpress let me know, I love it and there is so much you can do with it.

    Give me a shout, miss talking to you guys.

    Toodles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott :) I'm glad you could tell what it meant to me right away :)

    ReplyDelete