Sunday, March 1, 2015

Last Post, This Post

Last entry: November.  Tomorrow it will be March 1st, and one day prior to our 13th wedding anniversary.  Our wedding was on a Saturday.  There was a freak snow storm.  Considering the present state of the weather outside, I am forced to be even more reminiscent.

Had the colonoscopy in December.  All perfectly normal, except for confirmation of scar tissue from my hysterectomy, the pain caused by which I shall have to simply live with. Ah, well.  I suppose we all do the best we can.

Hunter the super cat is better than before.  He can now climb up on the couch and sleep on me, which is where he prefers to do so.  He is sometimes a demanding, cranky old man.  If he's hungry, he literally screams if he sees you coming, and then leads you to the bathroom and squalls until fed.  But I believe after a life lived so long, an old man is entitled to shout for his supper.

I have been working on another blanket, and a few drawings here and there.  I go through phases where I am more interested in hidden object games and facebook.  I have been watching Star Trek:  The Next Generation with my husband.  For probably the 5th time.  Such a good show.  And in light of the recent passing of Leonard Nimoy, it is a bit more interesting when he happens upon an episode, which is the case tonight.  It's such a strange thing. Until now, I have never shed tears at a celebrity's passing.  I guess it must be because I cannot remember a time in my entire life where he wasn't just 'out there' being Spock.  I know it is strange to mourn the death of someone you never really knew, but my life would be so different without my experience with his character.  I can think of so many conversations that would have been devoid of any humorous reference to Living long and Prospering.  So many contests with friends on who could most skillfully bid a vulcan farewell. A few painful receipts of a 'vulcan nerve pinch.'  Silly?  No, I don't think so.  It's simply the end of an era.  A signification of another step further away from youth, and toward the next stage of life.  Maybe I shed a tear for us both.

We may have made a small breakthrough with Riley's medication.  The poor child takes four medications.  He has one to help him 'settle' a little during school, one for bedtime, and one for mood and anxiety.  We have reluctantly tried stimulants, with what I would call atrocious results.  We have tried mood stabilizers, to reduce aggression, with quite the opposite effect. Before this, they put him on prozac, which helped in some ways, but seemed to increase bad dreams and decrease sleep. We have switched from Prozac to Zoloft and had a week of fairly positive results.  And the Vistaril for anxiety is an antihistamine which has a sedative effect.  With that, and a little lavender oil, which Riley calls 'wee-waxing-stuff,' we seem to maybe, MAYBE...finally have a good fit.  At least for now. We are scheduled to go to the Dennis Developmental Center in Little Rock in May for a day-long battery of evaluations to come to some more clear determination of his overall condition.

So aside from a pretty crummy encounter with an identity thief, things are going along fine!  But, that's a subject for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment